This month has been great code wise so far! There is no Youtube Video this time either, since all work has been "under the hood", fixing, rewriting and tweaking things.
Network Code Re-Design.... Again!
I decided to re-design the network code for......... the 3rd time! I really haven't coded much network stuff before starting with this game. I did some small simple upd & TCP/IP tests, but nothing near of how to handle enemies, player positions and all the other nice stuff in an efficient way & make sure it runs smoothly enough over the net without to much latency.
So why did I decide rewrite the network code again? Simply because I noticed that some of the bugs I had could only be solved by making a more efficient way to construct and handle the network packages.
To make a long story short, 2player co-op network is running smoothly now. I'm only about 50% done, since I'm converting the old network code to the new one. But the important thing is: It runs faster, much more stable & It's now a lot easier for me to add or change the package structure.
Immediately when the first pieces of the new network code was in place, a couple of bugs just solved themselves right away, as I had expected.
Converting the rest code will take a couple of more days (doing this in-between work, family, training & friends).
My graphics artist completed the first "crawler" enemy this week, which I have not had the time to put in-game yet, since fixing bugs is 1st priority this month.
To sum things up: Things are moving steady towards Tech Demo 2, so in a couple of months you'll be able to try it out yourself!
Until next blogpost